Questions to consider...
If you are unsure about any of these, or have any questions, pick up the phone and give me a call... Bryan Williams (248) 662-8097
Root pruning (THE BEST INSURANCE POLICY!)
- Why root prune?
- When is the best time?
- How long does it take to establish new roots?
- What is the normal root depth?
- What roots should be cut?
- When is severe pruning necessary and how should it be done?
- When, how to water and how much is needed?
- Is stabilizing during root pruning necessary?
Transporting (BATTEN DOWN THE HATCHES!)
- When is the best time to move a tree?
- How do you avoid leaves drying out?
- What is the best way to keep the root ball intact?
- What is the best way to protect the tree against injury or damage?
Backfill (DO'S AND DON'TS!)
- How do you find out what the soil needs? (Hint - soil and pH test)
- What amendments should be added to the soil?
- What is the best way to provide proper drainage?
- Where should compaction be avoided?
- How are compaction and stabilization related?
- When are air pockets okay and why?
Stabilizing (BLOW ME DOWN!)
- Is guying needed?
- What type of product should be used?
- What is the proper way of guying a tree?
- Should the main trunk be used or branches and why?
- Should it be tight or have some slack and why?
- Which direction should the guying run and why?
- Why staking doesn't work, but a buried "deadman" does?
Watering properly is critical to survival (GULP!)
- a. How much water is needed depending on soil type?
- b. What is the right depth to plant and how can you get water to the roots?
- c. How does wind affect the amount of water needed?
- d. How do nearby hardscapes, buildings and trees affect water requirements?
- e. How, when and with what should you mulch?
- f. How does the number of hours of direct sunlight affect the amount of water required?
- g. How does the temperature and humidity affect watering?
- h. How does the topography where it is planted affect water needs?
- i. How does root pruning affect the amount of water required?
Fertilizing (TOO OFTEN TOO MUCH!)
- a. How do you know what the soil needs? (Hint - soil and pH test)
- b. What is so great about compost tea and when to add it? (Hint - NOW!)
- c. When should you add fertilizer?
- d. How often should you add fertilizer?
- e. How much do you need?
- f. How do you apply the fertilizer?
- g. What kind of fertilizer is best?
- h. When do you need to consult an arborist?
Worldwide Tree Moving
1297 Oakridge Road
Oxford, MI 48371
Copyright © WorldWide Tree